Thursday, September 17, 2009

Miss Manship and the Bible of Dreams

When I was in my final year of uni, I took a psychology/writing unit called 'Writing Therapy'.  The purpose of the class was to examine the therapeutic benefits of writing and to discern whether writing can be a help or a hinderance in some situations (using writers such as Plath and Sexton...was the outlet of writing a delaying of the inevitable or could it have been the cause of them taking their lives?).  Anyways, one of the exercises for the class was to put a pen and paper right next to your bed and start writing the minute you open your eyes in the morning.  Apparently, because you are still in a semi-dreamlike state when you first awake, you are likely to be more in touch with your subconscious.  The idea interested me a lot and so I started setting my alarm five minute earlier in the morning and writing down my dreams.  Once I started writing down the dreams, they started getting more and more vivid.  Every night my dreams were getting stranger and stranger and I was enjoying capturing them on paper so much that I was even setting my alarm to go off in the middle of the night so that I could write down more of my dreams.  Slightly obsessive, I know but some of the material that I was getting for my writing was unbelievable.  I would get up in the morning with notes from the night before (usually stuck to my face or written on my arm) and have no recollection of the dreams themselves.  I have notebooks full of these dreams and not I want to start recording them on my blog but I don't really want them to get in the way of my regular blog so I've set up a separate blog purely for the purpose of recording some of my more elaborate dreams.  It's just an experiment at the moment but if anyone is interested in having a squiz, the address is

http://missmanshipandthebibleofdreams.blogspot.com/

Sweet dreams (,")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! This really interested me, one of my sister's has been writing down her dreams for well over a year now and they are always so interesting and usually reveal a lot about her character! Looking forward to catching up with your dreams! ;) xx

The Misadventures of Miss Manship said...

Thanks so much for your comment! You should try to get your sister to do a dream blog, I love hearing about other people's dreams. I hope that my dreams dont reveal much about my character though....mine are normally nothing more than poppycock and nonsense! :-)

xxx