Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy Hogmanay (or New Years, for the non-Scots...)




A very happy new year to all and welcome to the start of 2010!  I hope that everyone's NYE was filled with much madness, magic and mayhem.  It was after all the end of the noughties and should have been celebrated as such. Maybe not millenium style but still enough sparkle to put the Dorothy shoes to shame! I know that I'm ridiculously late in my new-year well-wishings but I think that there should be a small grace period to give people the chance to gather their writing wits after the fun and festivities of the Christmas season.  Besides, one of my resolutions is to start doing things in my own time and in light of this resolution, I think it's perfectly acceptable for me to be writing my new year post on the seventh of January! ;-)

I'm not normally a resolutions kinda person. I never do them and I rarely remember what I resolved to do anyways. I think that 'Learn French' has been on my New Year Resolutions list for about five years now and still the only French I know is 'Au Revoir' and 'Viola!'. I am however starting a blog resolution though. I've decided to start a travel feature on my blog, seeing as this originally started off being a travel blog. 'Travel Tuesdays' will start next week and am looking for some guest bloggers! I want stories about all your misadventures and all the mischief that you got up to along the way!

As this is a New Years post, it seems fitting that the first misadventurous travel tale should be about New Years Eve.  Last year, I celebrated Hogmanay in Edinburgh.  I spent Christmas week in Manchester with family and had to take a train back to Edinburgh on the day of New Years Eve as that was the only available train ride between Christmas and New Years.  I think that every single person in Britain decided to descend on Edinburgh that day because despite having paid for a seat, I had to stand in the hall by the stinking toilets for most of the three and a half hour journey.  Then when we finally arrived at Waverley train station after major delays, all the taxis had to be redirected away from the train station due to the street party on Princes street and so I had to walk all the way to the nearest taxi rank, carrying a bulging suitcase, two duffel bags and a backpack.

The plan was to have a relaxing afternoon before the madness of the night began.  Some holiday banter with my flatmate, unpack my stuff and take my time getting ready.  Maybe have a little nap.  Instead it was a sandwich on the run, throw on the cleanest dress in my wardrobe and leg it down to the local pub before my friends took a taxi to the street party we were going to.  Banging through the door of the pub in a great, big tangle of handbag straps and ankle boot laces, I practically fell into the arms of none other than The Rat.

Most girls are familiar with the behaviour of The Rat.  One guy who manages to make you feel like the most beautiful, attractive girl in the room by lavishing you with honeyed words and rapt attention.  He then manages to make you feel like a complete fool when you come back from the bathroom to find he's left without a word or doesn't call you when he says he will the next day. My Rat was a guy I met the first night I arrived in Edinburgh and is not someone I would wish to see the new year in with.  Unfortunately, he still had my number and this brief meeting at the pub sparked off an evening of one-sided phone calls and text messages.

On top of this, I managed to leave my coat at home and arrived at the street festival in a very thin, off-the-shoulder dress and stiletto ankle boots.  I think that the temperature by that time was in the negative degrees and my poor Southern-Hemisphere adapted body has never felt cold like it before.  I was freezing to death, almost crippled by my new stiletto boots and somehow managed to get separated from my group of friends within the first half hour.

By the time midnight struck, I was jammed in the middle of a mosh-pit, ignoring The Rat's constant phone calls and desperately dodging a New Years kiss from a Kiwi rugby player with cauliflower ears while masses of sweaty emo teenagers bounced on my toes.  I couldn't even be bothered to sing Auld blimin' Lang Syne and ended the evening crying my eyes out in my bathtub and pouring boiling hot water over my legs because my toes had turned blue and I couldn't feel them anymore. Happy Hogmanay everyone! I hear Paulo Nutini was playing at the street party but I honestly couldn't tell you. 

What are your most miserable NYE memories?

Lots of love!
xxx

11 comments:

smidge said...

This is one reason why i avoid the street party every year!

This year i managed to fall on the ice,bruising my hip and busting my ankle.

I'm still having to rest it! Great New Year's Eve but rubbish start to the year!

Bonne Année!

Jill said...

I want to learn French too! I took it in school but I can't speak much of it :D.
I've never had a very exciting New Year's. I used to just kiss my cat every year lol. This year I was with my boyfriend and we went to a bar but they kicked us out and closed at 12:05am. So yeah, not too exciting.

I would like to do a guest travel post if you want me to.

Barry said...

WORST New Year's ever? As I recall it was when my wife and I went downtown with a bunch of friends to a bar/restaurant:

-waited in line for a table
-through confusion they seated people behind us first
-service was lousy. The waiter handed my friend a knife POINT-FIRST, passing it to him across my chest
-my friend's roast beef was ALL fat, had to ask to have it replaced

My buddy got drunk, chatted with some guy and made us JUST miss the train. So we had to wait for a bus for a lo-o-ong ride home. A fight almost broke out on the bus between some people we didn't know. A Bob Marley wannabe in dreds(he was white) was smoking a joint. My wife gets sick when she smells pot so we cracked a window. Which made it cold as we were in the midst of a Canadian winter. We finally got the guy kicked off the bus.
We were all in a pretty bad mood when we finally got home. :(

Barry said...

By the way I totally LOVE Australia and everything in it, so you and your blog are instantly in with me!

Oh yeah, what IS it with these 'rat' guys anyway? As a man I don't have a quick answer for you, I never understood it either.

Amanda Wissmann said...

Hi Rachel :) Just read your post on the "Travel Junkie" site on 20sb...

I haven't ever done a guest blog before, but I've traveled and had some mishaps...so I figure why not! Let me know if you're interested :)

Barry said...

Your take on The Rat in your last comment to me was interesting because I don't think most people make that distinction.

I sometimes hear women say, "Men are___", but few people differentiate. Being male doesn't make you a man. Mistreating others' especially women, just makes you a pig.

As a male we don't have some God-given right to act as we please. "Man" isn't a title we're born with, it has to be earned. And it starts with showing respect.

I hope you find someone who deserves you.

The Adventurer said...

New years last year I spent in Barcelona which was...interesting to say the least.

Living in Switzerland: Cold
Coming from Rome before Barcelona: Not as cold.

So of course I figured...hey...Barcelona is in SPAIN! If Rome is warm then Barcelona will be...?

If you guessed freezing...You're correct.

Spain: 1, Erin: 0

So I had flown in to meet my parents - who in true fashion...showed up a day late - the day before new years eve. Luckily they had booked a very nice hotel right off La Rambla so even though they were late - I, the dirty, penniless traveller still got to sleep in a warm bed - and not even share a bathroom with anyone else - oh the luxury! One point for me? I think yes.

Anyway. So my parents show up - and they're jetlagged like whoa...but I take them out to explore with me anyways.

Now the good part...New Years Eve rolls around and thanks to the jet lag and the lack thinking and etc. etc. we don't make reservations. For anything. Anywhere. Bad, bad idea. We ended up in a restaurant that had a set menu of severely overpriced food that I'm pretty sure was just REALLY REALLY REALLY overpriced cardboard. But at least their sangria still had alcohol in it. As it should have at THIRTY EURO A PITCHER.

My mother and I ended up in giggles over the horrible meal - thanks I'm sure to the aforementioned sangria. We all left wishing we hadn't come...but were glad that my dad is the gentleman he is and picked up our sangria tab.

We then made our way down to La Rambla and saw mass crowds. As the countdown began...we realized just what we had gotten ourselves into. Squished like sardines we were feeling a slightly...anxious of the crowds. We decided to be wimps and back out of the way way way too drunk and a little bit crazy crowds...which were just a little too nuts for our taste. But of course we decided to do this just when the crowds decided to shake their champagne bottles and shower us into the new year.

Welcome 2009 - Never thought I'd start the new year covered in champagne trying to ward off death stares from the front desk as we slinked our wet selves through the lobby of our nice hotel...and dripped all the way up to our room.

Not miserable - but definitely memorable!

PS - I'm definitely interested in sharing some travel stories!

You can check out my blog here: http://thegirlwithcanadianadventures.blogspot.com and my email is erin.m@live.ca - or you can look me up on 20SB..I'm new there and saw your post in the travel junkie group :) (http://www.20sb.net/profile/Erin399) Let me know if you're ever interested!

Jill said...

Hey! I just emailed you the travel post :)

The Misadventures of Miss Manship said...

Great, Jill! Can't wait to read it! :-)

xxx

Zoe said...

I'd love to! After four months in the states, I have a few adventures to tell! haha.

my email address is zoeyoung@live.com if you wanna email me with the deets of what you want. Length, topic, style etc etc.

Mandy said...

Happy Belated New Year!

I keep things low key on NYE, usually spent quietly with friends.